From:
Mary Ann Brehmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 23:24:13 EST
Hi!
  I have a client that had an argument with her Pediatrician after the baby was
born about supplementation of prescription vitamins, mainly A,D,C,and Fluoride
called Ri-Vitamin Drops.  She had read lot of books which stated that as long as
she had a good and took vitamins herself she didn't have to offer her baby
vitamins while she was breastfeeding.  The doctor came back with " As long as
you are breastfeeding you are not giving the vitamins which are in ABM so you
have to give them by prescription."  What an argument for ABM!     I happen to
know her Ped and partner.  They are very conservative.  They even tell all their
mothers to supplement with ABM in the beginning.
  According to Dr. Ruth Lawrence's book: Human milk is the ideal food containing
all the necessary nutrients for the newborn infant.  Vitamin D relies on
maternal intake and the exposure of the infant to sunshine.  As far as Fluoride
the AP no longer recommends Fluoride supplementation in all breastfed infants.
Decision based on family dental history and level of fluoride in water supply.
Is there more information I can hand these Doctors as they do see a great
majority of my clients.
  The client was on Medicaid thus the argument but reluctantly gave in because
"He was the doctor and He should know".  I wish she had contacted me earlier.
  Thanks in advance.  You have all been great .!
Mary Ann Brehmer RN,IBCLC (former lactation consultant of Macomb Hospital
Center, job eliminated because of economic reasons) now in private practice.