From:
Denise Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:23:42 -0400
I have permission to post for a young mom-to-be in my prenatal class.  She
has been diagnosed bipolar with mostly a depression component.  Her doctor
wants to put her on Lactimal(I think that is spelled correctly) after she
delivers and is advising her not to breastfeed.  Hale says it is a L3 and
if another could be used it would be better.  The most common
antidepressants will not work for her case, per her mother.  Does she need
a seizure med to work.  If so would Depokote or something like that do the
same thing.  She wants me to suggest some medication names that would be
safe in pregnancy which I am glad to do from my other Hale book (the name
escapes me right now,which has Depression and Bipolar-Manic but not Bipolar-
Depression, but I don't know enough about bipolar to know which kind to
suggest.  I would like to be able to give her suggestions by Tuesday night.
Thanks for your help!
Denise Stuart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Kent, WA