From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:12:51 -0700
Hi,
Any help on my mystery case?
Desperate mother of 3-month old with severe deep breast pain that occurs
only starting 30min after feedings, lasts for 2 hrs--and occurs only on left
breast.  No pain during feeds or immediately after.  No nipple pain. No
sensitivity to touch or clothing.  Breasts & nipple equal size, symmetric,
no redness of breast, areolas not angry-looking or  flaky.  No fever.
Somewhat pinkish nipples that she says are normal for her, not misshapen
after feeds. Normal infant palate. Nipple face blanching visible after baby
detached which resolves quickly with applied warmth but mother says it
doesn't affect breast pain. No other peripheral/extremity symptoms or
history of Raynauds, no caffeine or nicotine.  Had correct dosage of 2 week
course of diflucan 6 weeks ago (no one saw her before or during that course
of meds; all over phone with MD) which maybe helped, maybe
didn't?-(inconsistent report by mom, so definitely no dramatic improvement)
No infant oral thrush visible, and she says there was none even before she
had applied oral gentian violet to infant for 10 days (she got her info off
the internet) Oversupply of milk (infant doubled wt by 2months!). And it
hurts a lot now,  for the past 2 weeks. (I first saw her one week ago.)
So, as you might surmise, we've discussed symptoms, signs and management of
vasospasm, candida, oversupply.  Still looking for an answer to comfort.
Any ideas?  Please email me directly as well as any lactnet postings.
Thanks,
Susan Lawrence, RN, IBCLC, LLLL