From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:46:13 EST
Greetings Everyone,
I was very disappointed to again read in the news how a study finds epidurals
a *wonderful thing*.  A new study was reported in JAMA challenging the notion
that it increases c/section. But the article goes on to say *also found
epidurals are more effective in relieving pain and had less effect on the
health of the newborns than narcotic injections.*
As Jack says, AAARRRRGGGGG!!!!! or something like that.

Then there was a statement by a nurse anesthetist (MALE) who says in his
experience it decreases the number of c/sections. *Some women just can't quite
get over that hump because of the pain and an epidural can help them do that*
The article ends with the statement that *some women who received epidurals
reported less pain, although their labor was longer and they experienced side
effects such as fever more often. Newborns whose mothers had epidurals also
were born less often with acidosis, a disturbance of the body's acid-base
balance that can cause breathing problems and diarrhea.*

Well doesn't that just make you want to go out and get an epidural because it
appears to be healthier for your baby. I just find it so frustrating that they
don't report the side effects such as, headaches, backaches, nerve damage to
mom, sucking problems in newborns. They make it appear so safe, and it just
isn't. Like everything else there are risks involved. I believe if women
really knew all the risks, they might not be so persuaded to get an epidural
at the first sign of pain.

My mission for 1999 continues, to change childbirth!!!
I wish all my friends a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Roni M. Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York  with 3 inches of snow on the ground and yesterday
morning it was 60 degrees!!!