From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 21:42:53 -0600
about SIDS, I marvel, too, that the researchers are not drawing any
connection to breastfeeding.  We know that breastfeeding further reduces the
risk of SIDS, but since it is not exclusively protective, breastfeeding gets
passed over in a search for a prevention measure.  Since living cells are
present in breastmilk and there is evidence of increased intellectual
capacity in breastfed infants, it would not be too difficult to surmise a
connection to faster development of the serotonin receptors that are
incomplete at birth when the infant is breastfed.  This would need further
study, but it doesn't sound like anyone is going in that direction.  When
will the light go on in the minds of researchers?

Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin  IL  USA