From:
Dina Ovando-Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:18:39 GMT
Dear all,
As I stated earlier, I do work with a predominately Hispanic population and
being one myself I feel that to some extent it is a cultural manifestation
to have lots of extended family and friends at the birth.  Children (yes
even 4, 5 and #6) are a fact of life and are involved in birthdays, MD
appt's, weddings etc.. Instead of fighting it and seeing it as a disruption,
isn't the perfect opportunity to establish to everyone that will be
supporting her postpartum (long after we are gone)that yes, she will be
breastfeeding, yes, it is the norm,it can be done and here is how you can
help. Doesn't this help it become the cultural norm we want it to be?  Those
who are embarrassed by it will usually excuse themselves, and those who want
to help stay, and the mother learns that hey, "why should I be feel shy
about doing the best for my infant.  By behaving like it is an act too
intimate to have family or friends view or assist in, we perpetuate the myth
that we are somehow doing something immodest or that requires I hide myself
in someway while I feed my infant.Of course we need to take into
consideration the mother and her level of modesty.  Just MHO.
On another line of thought, at the Lactation Institute when reviewing
overactive MER, some suggestions that have worked for me are, having the
mother hand-express into a container-(why waste it),vs pump as to not
continue to stimulate an even greater milk supply and using the "floating"
position.  The mother lies way back, like in a recliner or the bed even with
2 pillows under her head.  The infant lies on top of the breast with his/her
body to the side, the legs toward the axilla. I have used these techniques
with great success.

Dina Ovando-Brown BSN, CCE, IBCLC
Long Beach, CA