From:
Lee-Ann Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:48:32 -0700
Elisheva,
I applaud your friend's commitment to supporting breastfeeding.  We all
know we can use as much commitment in this area as possible.  I am
concerned, however, about giving such packages with pillows, herbs, etc.
to her friends, before any problems develope.  My concerns exist on
several levels.
First, as was addressed by someone else, the empowerment belongs in the
woman, not in others.  Sometimes all these gadgets, herbs, etc. leave the
woman feeling SHE ISN'T doing the breastfeeding (along with baby), but,
rather, all the pillows, herbs, etc. are enabling the breastfeeding
relationship.  Sure, when such things are necessary, they can be
invaluable.  But the vast majority of women and babies can do just fine
with no "additives."
Which brings me to my second point.  Truly, breastfeeding really needs
only two things: a baby, and a breast (just one is really necessary.  The
other is a "spare" from nature).  The pillows, herbs, fancy (and,
usually, expensive) bras, clothes, pumps, you name it, may be helpful
(key word alert...MAY), but aren't always necessary or even helpful.
There are times I honestly think we are using all these extra parts too
much, making breastfeeding, a physiologically  normal stage, too high
tech.  And, too expensive.  Sure, I advocate using the things when
needed, but not indiscriminantly.  I think many women decide not to
breastfeed precisely because they think they need all these things...
My third concern, alluded just above, is that all these things can, used
incorrectly, cause problems in an otherwise harmonious breastfeeding
relationship.  All lactation consultants who have seen sore nipples as a
result of a pillow used incorrectly (perhaps, for example, keeping the
baby too high against the mother) raise your hands...I'm sure several
people would respond positively.  How about nipple shields?  Get the
point?  I'm sure your friend isn't giving out nipple shields, but I'm
sure you see where I'm going (or coming from?).
I'm not familiar enough with herbs to discuss their use, appropriate or
not, but my concerns would be the same.
Perhaps your friend could instead offer friends her support with
lactation issues (assuming she has the knowledge, etc.), a lactation
book, or support the new mom with a casserole, housecleaning, or any of a
million other ways that would facilitate the relationship in an
individual way, without potentially, and unintentionally, undermining the
relationship.
Sorry for so long...
Lee-Ann Halbert, RN, IBCLC, LLLL