From:
Karla Loppi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 13:00:38 +0300
Pamela Morrison wrote:

> unacknowledged and under-valued too.  If the #1 health
> priority was to help each mother breastfeed each baby, then
> it *would* happen.  Thoughts, anyone??

I think you're right and your questions are very well put.

Still, in my mind I've - so far - resolved this matter thus: We cannot put
the priorities in order for an individual mother seeking our help. If I
would meet a woman who does not want to breastfeed at all (this is very rare
in Finland) I would support her right to choose so (if my opinion was
asked). Of course I would try to give this mother all the information she
can need to make a true decision of her own. But after that it's her choise.

I think in a long run this is better even for the general acknowledgement of
the value of breastfeeding. Because when not wanting to breastfeeding is no
longer a taboo, and everybody feels free to think about ALL the choises that
come with it, then there is much more room for good information to come out
and spread.

And while I give the real freedom of choise to individual mothers, I can
still act politically in the society demanding more value to human milk and
breastfeeding.

Well... my English fails me in trying to explain these complicated thoughts
of mine :-)

Still,
said my word...

Karla Loppi
project worker for Finnish Breastfeeding Support Association