From:
Ellen Mahony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 06:43:07 -0500
As I was snowed in by the blizzard, I started watching the Discovery
Health Live Births show on yesterday. I was taping it in case there was
something of interest later. It was really amazing. It was like a busman's
holiday as I work in a maternity unit. (If you never heard that
expression, it is a bus driver who rides the bus on his day off!)I ended
up watching most of it and stayed up until 2 am. The snow was lovely, over
two feet in upstate NY, and I will shovel today.
    It was quite favorable to breastfeeding, although didn't show much
directly, almost every mother interviewed after midnight, who had given
birth had already nursed her baby several times. The show's host, Mary
Alice Williams, gave a message that two thirds of new moms choose
breastfeeding in the US, and one third are still nursing at six months.
(This could be better but at least it is up from the past.) She talked
about the benefits of breastfeeding for a whole segment. Almost every
mother mentioned when asked how she was feeling after her birth, that her
baby nursed, it was part of their natural response to how they were
feeling. Even Dr. Jen Berman shared her elective cesarean of a few weeks
ago, some births were taped, about 18 births occurred on the ten hour show
at four hospitals around the US, both vaginal and a few emergency and
planned cesarean occurred. Dr. Berman seemed sorry she had chosen a
cesarean thinking it would save her the stress incontinence she had
experienced after her vaginal birth, but found the cesarean very much more
painful right now. She was actually breastfeeding on the show.
    Just thought I would share the media watch while I was checking the
school closing for my 15 year old son, it is closed. Back to bed for
awhile before facing the snow shoveling.
       Warm regards after the blizzard of the century, (the century is
still young!) Hoping that the world conflict is over soon like the
snowstorm, but not that optomistic,
       Ellen Bane Mahony, RN, MS, LCCE, IBCLC