From:
Mandi Porta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:59:33 -0500
Hello fellow Lactneters,
I have had a string of puzzling cases and would love some insight.  The
first one involves a mother who had to have IVF to have her baby.  She did
not have any milk until day 4 after c/s delivery and the milk came out the
colour of meconium. As more pumping continued it turned a forrest green now
on day five it is normal coloured colostrum with a slight green hue.  SHe
is getting about 30mls per pumping session.  It did not have a funny taste
as both the mother and father tasted it.  She doesn't have fibrocystic
breast disease, any thoughts on what would cause this?  I have read in the
archives about green milk but this seemed more extreme than that.  Should I
be testing for anything?  If so what?  We have had the milk sent off for a
culture.

THe second case is a baby conceived by IVF and who is struggling with her
mum's milk supply. Currently baby is being supplemented by milk from her
auntie.  The mother stated that her testosterone levels were high which was
one of the causes of her problems with concieving.  We are going to test
for her hormonal levels but what would be the fix if her testosterone
levels were high?

Cheers from The Green Valley of the Hutt River
Mandi Porta, RN, IBCLC