From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:12:02 +0800
>Thanks for your help Querida.  Just one thing though, have you
>heard of Paw Paw cream being tissue disctructive?  This was on a
>hand out that I was given 3 years ago now, I remember Ros
>Escotts name being on the bottom of it. Amazingly the people I
>have seen who have being using it,all have bleeding nipples.  Do
>you know anything about that.
>Val in Busselton, Western australia
>RN RM IBCLC

Val, I believe paw paw contains a proteolytic enzyme. I think it is papain.
I used to work as a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross Blood Transfusion
Service b.c. and we used to use papain to strip antigens off the surface of
red blood cells as part of testing for blood types. Don't know though
whether the cream still contains any of the enzyme, but I wouldn't want to
risk it myself!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]