From:
Adina Lerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 01:54:14 -0400
Hello all,
I have a patient whose ~2 week old infant has a lot of white "scum" in her mouth, all over the tongue and mucosa, she's not sure when it started but thinks it was pretty soon after birth and is getting more noticeable. Mom has no obvious signs of infection but is starting to have nipple pain at latch and during feedings. I don't have so much experience with this so I figured I'd ask of you wonderful lactnetters...do you recommend treatment right away? what do you recommend to treat the baby? Is it necessary to treat the mom as well at this point? Most of the recommendations I've found discuss treatment based on maternal symptoms and not based on the infant showing signs. She has no nipple trauma, and latch and intake are all good.
Thanks for any responses.
Best,
Adina Lerer, RN, IBCLC, LCCE