From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:50:55 -0700
Jacquie Nutt hopes something good comes out of Newark / Nestle.  I do too, but not sure what that might be.  Post your ideas.  There can certainly be a comparison between the health of babies, children and health care costs in New York, where Mayor Bloomberg has embraced the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative and those born just across the river, in Newark, where Mayor Booker has embraced Nestle.

Jacquie Nutt and I are not Americans.  We are both shocked at what is going on in the US and how the WHO Code is being violated.  Norma Ritter suggests that it is because the Code is not law in the US.  I'm not so sure that's the problem.  In Canada, the Code is not law either but we use it all the time to educate decision makers and stop industry.

 In Newark / Nestle we weren't trying to stop Nestle (who thumbs the Code whether is law or not) we were trying to educate Mayor Booker, supposedly an ethical man who cares about his citizens. (In India, where there is a law, it took 17 years to get a charge against Nestle through the system - the violation is just now going to trial).

No, I don't believe it is just because the Code is not law in the US, I think it is because there is no capitan guiding the ship, (of concerned people) through troubled waters.  I got involved trying to help stop the Newark / Nestle partnership because no one else in the US was doing it. Maria Parlapiano was the only American who stood up and said, "I want to stop the Newark / Nestle partnership".  I have never met her. She has never done anything like this before. The US should honor her!

The US Breastfeeding Committee, (USBC) mission statement says:

 "The mission of the United States Breastfeeding Committee is to improve the Nation's Health by working collaboratively to protect, promote and support breastfeeding" (the Innocenti Declaration)

but while the USBC, is doing lots of good things, they don't seem to put much emphasis on "protecting" breastfeeding which is the Code. I believe that "if you promote and support breastfeeding but don't protect it, you are setting many women up for guilt and failure".  The USBC is not a new organization, it was incorporated 12 years ago and in the meantime industry marketing has become much worse.

 When we started Newark / Nestle 4 months ago there was nothing on the USBC's site about Nestle partnering with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) in 2010, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Newark or Michigan and there is still nothing. The only Code action listed on their site is "ban the bags". Nothing about the petition to stop Newark / Nestle, nothing about Public Citizen taking on Nestle in Newark or Michigan ... nothing! I don't understand this. I have found it very frustrating.

 As soon as we heard about Newark and Michigan / Nestle we contacted the USBC.  We were wished well but told they didn't get involved???  We have been told to go away. Some of their partners have contacted Maria and me asking what is going on??? The USBC have told us they are working behind the scenes but won't share what they are doing - just what the companies love: a disjointed campaign - the left hand not knowing what the right is doing... First rule of any campaign: show a united front.

When I asked, (on Lactnet) what other cities and states had partnered with Nestle, a few people contacted me privately, saying, "well, I've heard ..." but they never got back to me.  I believe Newark / Nestle is just the tip of the iceberg but if people don't report ... or have no one to report to ...

 It seems to me that there isn't a US captain to guide the boat (of concerned people) through the troubled waters.  And if you wondered why a Canadian was helping an American it was because no one else offered to help.  I think there are many people in the US and throughout the world, that are appalled by what Nestle is doing, (happily, I have met some of you via email over the last 4 months) but more people, in the US, need to do more. More than 50 countries throughout the world, and every international organization working to implement the Code has offered the US support but this is a US problem.  Am I too blunt?

You have one more kick at the can. How many of you wrote to the Surgeon General and cc'd to the NJ Health Commissioner? (as I posted yesterday) - if she gets enough letters she might approach the Mayor (worth a try) (thanks to those of you who have written). If you have deleted the info, please feel free to contact me privately.

 However, it seems the Mayor isn't willing to listen to anyone except his constituents. If you want my suggestion, it is that every Newark resident, on Lactnet, needs to get in touch with 10 more Newark residents, who get in touch with 10 more, who get in touch with 10 more etc. People on the street need to know what is planned for them.  There are many health professionals that are not on Lactnet regularly - have you told them what is happening?  If there are few Newark lactnetters, then those in New Jersey, (or elsewhere) need to step in - some of you must have contacts in Newark.  Brainstorm how to get your message out, maybe you graduated with a nurse or doctor or? working in Newark - he / she will know others etc., maaybe you know someone who has media contacts or?  If people in Newark want to email me privately, I can collect names and connect you.

Sorry for the long email.  Frustrated? Yes!

Renee (in Vancouver)