From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:28:38 -0700
 I have had some success in relactation - from LOOONNGG ago (70s) when there
were no good pumps, no supplementer systems, etc. to currently.

When a mom calls me and asks about it, I have to admit that I question the
reasons for her interest (my girlfriend is breastfeeding vs. my baby is very
sick) and I am pretty descriptive of how much time and effort it will take.
This is not just for HER benefit, but I have to admit it is for my own...

With the moms that I have helped, I've found that I needed to be THERE for
them - long and often - at times it was not my LC hat but my Social Worker
hat that was being used.  LOTS of emotional ups and downs, stressors from
mom, her family, her friends.

My time is very limited and I have to screen moms that aren't really willing
to address the challenges.  I do refer them to other LC's, of course, but
usually people call me as a "last resort".

I may sound uncaring in this message, and I hope you understand that it is
with 30+ years of experience - including some years of "lone" work, which
have led me to develop a way to protect MYSELF at the same time as I go
about helping the most mothers I can.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
...right now feeling pretty tired and raw!