Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:41:25 EST
Harvey points out:

> My book and video teach calming skills not taught anywhere else.

It's been interesting following the (sometimes) heated discussions about the
techniques Harvey is advocating.  One of the things that has come through
loudly and clearly on the part of many posters is the assumption that all
babies will stop crying if they are just held in arms, so there should never
be a need for Harvey's techniques -- particularly the swaddling.

Well, perhaps Wheaton IL is different than the rest of the world, but
interestingly enough, I often see babies in the hospital that are NOT soothed
by just being held in mom's arms.  Many of these babies also will not go to
the breast, or mom is "nursed out" and her nipples can't cope with another
hour of non-nutritive suckling.  So what helps?  Frankly, in these
situations, I've found that Karp-swaddling and snuggled in mom's arms
incredibly helpful.  The baby settles, becomes much more organized, and may
then be able to go to the breast, or drifts off to sleep.  It's a wonderful
technique, one that needs to be in our bag of tricks, and brought out when
appropriate.  Just as I wouldn't use just a wrench for all household repair
jobs (the wise homekeeper needs a hammer, screwdriver, drill, and a few other
odds and ends, including, I'm sure, a rachet -- though I don't know what it
is), I want to have more than one tool or one technique for using with babies
when moms and dads are frazzled and ready to give it up -- or worse yet, are
ready to shake their babies out of frustration.

Jan B -- currently in Lafayette IN