From:
Sarah McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:28:22 +0000
Hi wise ones,

Permission to post.  3 week old baby with reflux.

If a baby will only sleep on the parents chest or possibly on its side what can we say about safety?  This baby wakes very quickly if turned on to his back.  I think he spues then too.  If lying prone is higher risk due to pressure on a nerve in the neck are babies whose heads are flexed forward when lying on their parents chest prone at less risk than prone on a mattress?

Can we suggest placing a small blanket in front of the baby lying on its side to prevent it lying on his/her front?

I know this is about risk assessment but when it is a vulnerable baby we are talking about I feel very nervous.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Love,

Sarah McCann. BScHons, IBCLC, LLL Leader.

www.breastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk