Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:12:30 EDT
I thought this was just a problem I was seeing.  It started in February and
continued through March.  Atmospheric changes?...  One Mom recently went
through the same situation where the weight began to decline at 4 weeks.
Being busy with a 2 year old...she did not pay attention to "how" the baby
was actually nursing.  When the baby began to slow down with nutrative
suckles she would end that side and then switch to the second.  She followed
the same pattern on the second side and ended the feeding feeling confident
that this content baby was done.  There were several stools per day, plenty
of wet diapers, she was aware of letdown and audible swallows.  But...baby
was just maintaining weight.  While watching a feeding I urged her to keep
baby aroused a little longer before taking her off.  Within a few minutes she
felt another letdown and baby began actively sucking again.  What she needed
to do was keep this little one going longer before ending the session and do
the same while on both sides.  We even went back to the first once more.  The
scale said she consumed 3 1/2 oz in just that one feeding.  It was a struggle
to continue this pattern over the next week ...but, the baby has gained well
since.  I like the analogy Nikki Ward once gave in a seminar I
attended..."think of a feeding session as sometimes an Appetizer (first
side), then Main Course (second side) and maybe a little dessert (third
side).  Of course on occassion some might need a little cocktail also.
    All the other problem weight gainers I have seen these last 4 weeks have
had a variety of reasons so...the learning continues!
Sharon in Chicago Burbs