Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:15:45 -0500
How did labels get put on cigarette packages in Canada?  Because it was done
in the US first.

Don't get disheartened.  Keep up the good work and remember that Calgary
wasn't built in a day.  You will get compensating heartening days too.

There won't be a law suit for "just one bottle" because the hospital will
bring out its expert witnesses that will tear apart the studies.  What can
be done, though, is base a complaint on the person giving the bottle without
informed consent.  We have a statement from the Ontario College of Nurses
that giving supplements without *informed* consent is professional
misconduct.  Probably other provincial colleges or state boards would have
such a policy or would include such an action as professional misconduct.
Much easier to complain to the college than launch a lawsuit.  No expense,
usually no court appearance, no need to prove damage.  Just letters to write
and say:  Nurse x gave my baby a bottle without my knowledge or without
telling me it might undermine breastfeeding.  She should be disciplined.  If
that happens once or twice, you can bet the nurses in postpartum will think
twice before supplementing.  (Such cases are usually written up in college
bulletins distributed to all members).  Of course, they will find ways to
give the supplements anyhow, but at least they will have to think twice
about it.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC