From:
Susan Horein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:31:58 -0600
I got a call today from a mother whose water supply tested high in copper
(1800 micrograms per liter where 1300 is the high end of acceptable).  She
has consumed this water during the last 4 months of her pregnancy and the
first 3 months of nursing her infant.  The materials she was given
indicated that high copper levels can cause liver and kidney problems in
infants.  She's wondering if she is passing this through her breastmilk.
(Baby is presumed healthy, but mother is worried.)

My search of the archives gave one possibly relevant hit:

"Copper is a mineral, and mineral levels are stable in human milk
regardless of maternal blood levels.  Lead levels in milk are stable
regardless of maternal levels too."

Can anyone confirm this or provide other information?

TIA

Susan Horein
Wisconsin, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]