From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:33:38 -0800
Friends:  I would like to re-open the feeding tube discussion.  The list
divas have given cautious approval to use brand-names in our discussion,
as long as our comments are carefully factual.  If you stand to gain
monetarily from the sale of feeding tubes, please preface your comments
accordingly.

The questions are:

a) what size (2.8 Fr, 3.5 Fr, 5 Fr) is the most satisfactory overall;
and is there a situation which calls for a particular size?

b) which chemical make-up gives the softest tube (in these sizes)?  Are
there tubes which are so soft as to collapse in these sizes and thus not
be practical for supplementing at the breast?

c) which chemical make-up is the safest for the baby, given the dangers
of chemicals leaching into the milk or baby's saliva (pthalates, etc.)
and considering the adhesion of milk particles to the tube (fat, etc.)?
Recall that supplementing at the breast is a very short term process,
unlike leaving a feeding tube in place, although in this process the
tube may be washed and reused many times.

d) what other considerations are important in choosing from the various
feeding tubes available?

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC
In California's Gold Country