Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:18:59 EST
Chris:
I am sorry you had such a tough time after your C-S.  My experience was
completely different.

As a 42 year old with PCOS who was told I didn't need birth control, my
husband and I were delighted to find out we were pregnant.  I worked in the NICU
until 41 weeks, then insisted on induction at 41 4/7 weeks ( I have seen too
many post-term meconium aspiration babies with pulmonary hypertension on ECMO to
be comfortable going any further in the pregnancy).  I was induced for 48+
hours but finally had a C-S under epidural for FTP and PIH (common in us "elderly
primagravidas").

My son never left my side. He breastfed in the recovery room at < 30 mins of
age, then slept for 24 hrs.  After that, he was a barracuda until my full milk
supply came in (at home). I had a little itching but no emesis.  My
(hand-picked) pediatrician never suggested supplementation, although my mother (who
bottle-fed 5 children) did.  I went home in 48 hrs, came back 24 hrs later to
have staples out, then to the Yacht Club day 5 for a Rotary Party.  I sat quietly
and held and nursed him while all around me admired my quiet "good" baby.

There was a little pain at night as you said, when I sat up to nurse, but
time and pain meds took care of it.  My son is now 14 years old, 5' 10" tall,
slender and healthy.

My whole experience with breastfeeding after my C-S was wonderful.  I would
hope that there are others out there, especially Moms empowered with
information from us, who could also have a good experience with breastfeeding after a
C-S.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FABM, FAAP
Neonatologist, Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Children's Hospital
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services
San Diego, CA