Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 20:46:20 EDT
There is a comment that mothers and staff say that just drives me crazy: "I
don't have any milk yet, it is JUST COLOSTRUM."
COLOSTRUM IS BREAST MILK.  It is just a phase in the production.   Colostrum
is identified in its composition and consistency but there is not just
colostrum, transition milk and mature milk.
The composition of breast milk is always changing dependent on the age and
needs of the baby.  That is the beauty and wonder of the woman's  body.
There is continued discoveries of the changes in breast milk through the
course of postpartum.  Peter Hartman is one of those who has done some of  the
studies but there are others.
Please, please do not tell a mom that her colostrum is not breast  milk.  We
need to change that notion.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA
Continuing to fight the battle with the formula, bottle  society.   :-)