From:
Ann H McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:14:04 -0400
In the hospital I USED to work, we did hearing tests on all newborns.
THis is a screening tool that tests the presence of brain stem responses
to audio frequencies.  It involves placing three electordes on the baby's
head and a pair of stick on ear  "muffs"  into which the audio signals
are directed.  The pacifiers are not to lessen noise, but more to make
sure the kids are really still.  If they move, you get artifact and the
test pauses, and the whole thing takes forever.  THe test was easier in
the kids who were swaddled and held in a rocking chair.  If a baby was
sucking vigorously on a pacifier, the mouth and jaw movement caused
artifact and your were testing forever...again.  THe best way to get
accurate results was to do the test when the baby was done nursing, and
in mom's arms.  But...then you are working on the... BABY'S... time frame
and not the hospitals and we all know how far that is going to go.  If I
had a dime for all the times I have heard the mom as a pacifier warnings,
both in my hospital career and in home care...well...I would be rich.
None of my 3 kids used them, not by my choice, I am embarassed to say.
Guess the little guys were smarter than I was...back then!
                                                                                        Ann H. McAdooRN
        mom of :Erin 8, Sam 6 and Catie 4