From:
Jennifer Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:53:44 -0800
I need some input and advice. I'm having a hard time finding the info I need! I am a midwife at a birth center in CA, and also getting my practice off the ground as an LC. I am having cases where clients need donated milk, whether it's d/t FTT, adoption, etc. I am coordinating with some local donors who are willing to pump and donate, but it's not enough. I am wanting to start an actual milk bank/storage facility/donor milk station, whatever it might be called.  I have some GREAT resources at my fingertips in the form of moms who choose to birth with our practice, and who might be willing to participate in this. I am also connecting with local milk-share groups. What do I need to know to get this started? (or not! :) Are there major legal hoops to go through? Can it be just a casual thing, with a separate breastmilk freezer, and give to moms who have need? I'm brainstorming and feel like I'm going in circles trying to figure out where to start. lol

Thanks for any and all input!

Jennifer Stewart
IBCLC, CPM
California, USA