From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:55:48 EDT
Kudos to Kathleen Feather for her wonderful post.

Kathy E. and Karen and Catherine W.G. hit the nail right on the head.   Being
a League leader is a tremendous amount of work.  It's more than  leading a
meeting every month, and taking a few calls.  I think some people  think it's
easier because of the "automatic 500 hours a year" rule in the  eligibility
requirements, but in effect, if you added up all the time an average  Leader
spends, it would be far more than 500 hours.  (By the way, if you  are accumulating
hours to sit and are a LLLL and you think you spend more than  500 hours a
year, document it and those extra hours will count toward your  required total.)

I don't agree that everyone is saying the way they became an IBCLC is the
best way.  I did it largely through LLLL hours, pathways G and H,  volunteering
at hospitals, and a few other bits and pieces.  I don't think  that it was the
best way to do it.  No one way is best, but what we have  been saying is that
a standardized education program (like the UCLA program or  something
similar, or something, someday that each program creates itself and  competes for
students based on the excellence of their program and faculty)  would in theory
be the best.

Pam H. is thinking along the lines that I was/am.  So many people  collect
their hours with little or no exposure to the beauty of the  multidisciplinary
nature of our profession.  Yes, a standardized education  program should
absolutely include other allied health professions, SLP, OT, PT,  RD, as well as
physicians.  It should include a contribution by  mother-to-mother support
groups. That's one of my biggest reasons for supporting  formalized education.

It is a tangled web, and considering the history and genesis of the
profession, it is remarkable that we have come so far.  In some ways, we  are light
years ahead of other professions who are only now, after many, many  years,
beginning to require recertification as a way to guarantee quality care  and
protection of the public.  There are a few certification  organizations who are
trying, or who have tried, and failed, to go  "international" with their exam and
certification process.  There are other  professions that require so little
for certification that is scares me that I  put myself in the hands of these
'professionals'.  We need to celebrate  what we have done right, and
congratulate those who have gotten us there.

At the same time, it is not 20 years ago.  Medicine and consumer
expectations, insurance, hospitals' concern with the bottom line, and other  factors
worry me.  My concern is that if we do not move with more  urgency,
professionalism, and cohesion, to fix what is broken the lactation  consultant as a credible
allied medical health care provider will cease to  exist.

Now, say "we" somehow figure all this out.  Are the new  "standards" going to
be applicable only to the US?  How do we keep the  playing field level for
every candidate worldwide?  Is it time to consider  whether or not it is
realistic to keep the "international" nature of the  credential?  How could one
reasonably expect a country like Zimbabwe or  Turkmenistan, or even Brazil or
Mexico to implement the same standards we are  discussing here, when some of these
countries have no university systems at  all?  If you all think there's
territorialism with how we view what the  best way of training is, I can assure you,
if/when this discussion moves to a  deeper consideration than the
intellectual conversation of Lactnet, European,  Australian, Canadian and other IBCLCs
are going to have something to say about  it.  By trying to improve and advance
our profession, we might well end up  breaking apart the "international"
foundation of both IBLCE and ILCA.

If you think about it, MDs, RNs and other medical professionals can  practice
in other countries, no matter where they were trained, provided they  meet
that countries standards.  That happens all the time in the US.

I've talked enough.  Some of you are probably wondering why I can't  stop
talking.  Fact is I'm on medical leave for some minor surgery and  can't work.
Not to fear, though, I go back on Thursday.  But let's  continue this thread,
please.

Barbara