Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:26:38 EDT

<< I went to check on a mommy in hospital last week and she was leaning over
 out of her bed holding a pacifier (brought from home) in the baby's mouth
 (he in his crib) to keep him from crying. I suggested that she breastfeed
 the baby now, giving all the reasons and listing the early feeding cues and
 that even the AAP recommends this, and it is ok and even desirable to feed
 the baby agian even if he "just ate" recently. She didn't want to. Later the
 nurse informed me that the mother did not like me telling her all this. This
 is so frustrating to me! How can we change this mindset? I guess this was
 really a vent! >>

Laurie you will appreciate this comment made by a Dad in my breastfeeding
class the other nite. I was discussing feeding on request or on cue . In
describing how that is an unscheduled feeding pattern he said "you mean
whenever he asks for it even if it's every hour?' I then said to this Dad,
well when your stomach is cueing you what do you do, don't you feed yourself?
And his reply was no, not unless it's time( breakfast, lunch, dinner!) I find
it very hard to change this mindset of scheduled feeds with many, not all
parents. It is frustrating. I also try to associate it with  puppies and
kittens and how they are just tucked into mom's body nursing ad lib.

Many of us are facing this frustration from what I gather! We have to keep
educating and hammering away. Our "American lifestyle" also does not lend
itself well to nursing ad lib and bedding down with baby to build a supply .
That's why we see so many breastfeeding issues IMHO!
Jane Ciaramella RNC IBCLC