From:
ANN G CAGIGAS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:48:19 -0800
I worked at the hospital this weekend.  The first call of the day was
from an inpatient Mom desperately needing a breastpump.  She is fully BF
a 3 monther and was admitted with a uterine infection that needed to be
treated with IV antibiotics... ok?  The patient was told not to Bf until
8 hours post medication.  She was on dose 3 at 8am and had one more to
go.  I researched the antibiotic and discovered (1) It is only given IV
because it is not absorbed via the gut, (2) less than 1% is reflected in
the mother's serum, (3) the resident admitted to me that she was glad for
the mother that I researched the medication because she hadn't had the
time and she didn't want the mother to go any longer that necessary ???
without BF or having to pump and dump.  Doesn't this make you want to
just SCREAM!