Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:53:37 -0400
Skin-to-skin immediately after birth........  newborn's sterile body is covered with mom's microbes, not the hospital's microbes.  Skint -to-skin relays to the baby's brain that he is safe.  The heartbeat in his ear feels safe.  The mother's breathing right there regulates his respiration.  The mom regulates his temperature and his blood sugar.  Later is better than none, but really "too late" in so many ways.

Opal Horvat, IBCLC, RLC
Bergenfield and Hoboken, NJ