From:
Jessica Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 01:51:18 EDT
Just read Janet's post with excerpts from Dr. Paula's website and I am feeling
my soapbox growing under my feet...OH, COME ON!!!!  I realize that feeding is
an important part of the mother/child relationship (we all know that nutrition
is only half of the reason breastfeeding is so wonderful), but it is not the
SOLE source of parent/child bonding!  Dr. Paula completely failed to mention
that there are so many other opportunities for dads to bond with babies:
bathing, cuddling, dressing, playing, napping, rocking (and the occasional
bottle of EBM).  In fact, without bottle-feeding as a crutch, determined dads
usually *find* more ways to get involved and have bonding time.  So do
grandparents, siblings, etc.  This makes me very angry.  The last thing moms
in our society need is one more excuse not to breastfeed, and the genius Dr.
Paula has provided it!!! All hail Dr. Paula!!!  (ok, i'm climbing down now,
and taking my tongue out of my cheek)

Jessica Garrett
(whose 5-month old breastfed baby has her daddy wrapped around her little
finger)
OKC, OK