From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:16:35 -0400
Hi Friends;
I just wanted to share a couple of stories with you. My first story is
about an Italian couple that when they had their first baby she labored
a very long time, pushed >3 hrs and ended up c/section. The infant was
the worst tongue sucker I had ever seen. I ended up using a nipple
shield to hold his tongue down. Mother also had very flat exhausted
breasts. After a month of pumping and learning the breast-feeding dance
he nursed until he was 19 months old and weaned during her next
pregnancy. This second birth was a scheduled c/s. Dad waited in the
nursery, shirt off near the warmer to greet his son. Baby remained with
dad skin to skin until mom arrived from recovery. Baby never left mom's
side unless for procedures, assessments and we have a very blessed and
happy family with good breast-feeding this time. I read Camela's post
and I also wanted to share this.
My next story I am still feeling the grief but moving on. This baby was
vag delivery, epidural. First feeding very well, baby and mom spiked a
temp. Baby was spinal tapped, IV, antibx. I encouraged skin to skin,
baby would latch 1-2 sucks, cry. Or cry, suckle few, sleep. Dad could
hold her and she would settle. I told mom she wants to share with you
her story. She has been poked, prodded, kept away from you and now you
are here. She finds comfort in the breast. Well, mom sent baby to
nursery. They swaddled her in a warm blanket and she slept. I told mom
she was asleep and swaddled in blankets and just fine. She asked the
staff to feed her a bottle. Then it was another bottle. The next thing
she told me that she was bottle feeding because now her baby is happy.
She just wants a baby to feed and sleep. I knocked myself around for a
day or to but now feel that too bad she just didn't get it.
Having LacNet has been so helpful to me to see others with similar
problems and helps me work it through. Bless all of you.
Terri Klein RN, CLE, CLC

***Note: The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the Sender
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it
from your computer.
Thank you.  Central Michigan Community Hospital