From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:48:57 -0500
Darrilyn wrote: "Now, in case that came off sounding like the "basic" method
doesn't offer a
significant milk supply, to anyone, that is not the case at all (it is a bit
challenging to explain)!  Of mothers who have a Lact-Aid ready to go and
start nurturing and feeding at the breast, with little or no previous
preparation, the vast majority will be producing some milk within two weeks
(but often in a few days) and go on to produce somewhere around half of the
milk their babies need, while they are still taking only milk, without using
any kind of galactogogues or pumping."

Here is my problem: I work with WIC moms who can borrow an Elite for free,
see the IBCLC for free, and get an SNS for free. No Lact Aids unless mom
purchases it herself. What we find in the vast majority of our clients is
they "want" to try the SNS but they end up using it once or twice only.
Maybe one out of ten will use it consistantly, so it seems like a great
waste of our limited resources. They do not like how difficult it is to
latch on with the tubing. So we are very hesitant to use it until we know
this mom has the commitment and persistance required.

I have a mom who we loaned an Elite pump to on Friday. Five month old, never
nursed, constipated on formula, mom has done some research, and has her
husband also wants her to try to relactate. The night before, she got the
baby to latch on after a bottle feeding and he stayed for 10 minutes.

What I told her was pump 8x/24 hours for 5-10 minutes on low suction, put
baby to breast 3-4 times a day after bottles for comfort sucking, and in two
weeks if she is still gung ho, we'll do a home visit and I'll show her how
to supplement at the breast. I gave her the chapter on relactation out of
the Spanish BAB.

I think we take it too slow perhaps but we just don't have a good success
record with moms using a supplementation device at the breast. And we try to
be careful in not wasting any devices/products/staff time if mom isn't going
to follow through so we have enough for those moms who are motivated and
committed. I welcome any suggestions.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC