From:
Diane DiCarlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 06:29:07 EDT
Hello all,

I'm working with a mom who is succesfully breastfeeding her seven month old,
but is suffering debilitating PPD and not responding to Zoloft.  She also has
a four year old child, after whose birth she experienced PPD, and she was
helped then only by Effexor.  She's like to begin taking it again, but her
doctors are advising her to wean in order to do so.

I've checked the archives, my copy of Hale, and made a few phone calls, but
the info on Effexor seems to be pretty scanty.  Tho Tom Hale posted some
useful studies a while ago, I've been unable to locate much information on
the drug, and was hoping that one of you might know of some additional
information that could help this mom make a decision she can be comfortable
with.

The mom wants very much to continue breastfeeding, but she also feels that
her current state of depression and anxiety is interfereing with her ability
to function.  After fighting the depression off for seven months in an effort
to continue breastfeeding her daughter and getting no relief from Zoloft,
she's at the end of her rope.  We've discussed the unknown and apparently
undemonstrated risks of Effexor vs. the known and proven risks of formula,
but the info on Effexor is so scanty as to make an informed decision
difficult.

Any information or experiences would be welcome.  Thanks!

Diane DiCarlo
LLLL
Brooklyn, NY