From:
Amy Kwilinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:24:28 -0400
Rachel, I also experienced voracious appetite during lactation for both
of my boys (except mine was from the start).  I distinctly remember
going to the frig late one night shortly after my first was born, and
consuming an entire large dinner (delicious because grandma had made
it).  I experienced great weight loss and went 10 to 15 lbs. below pre
pregnancy weight with both by around the first year.  I have never been
a heavy person, so it was not because of extra supplies being lost.
This appetite continued until both were over two years of age, at which
time I gradually noticed that I was not as hungry and that I was gaining
weight.  I have had several friends who noticed similar appetites and
weight loss.  I can imagine it was easily over 500 calories extra a day
because I usually had two dinners and several snacks a day; I did not
limit myself at all except to make sure a good portion of it was whole
fruits and veggies.  Interestingly, I was actually tired and felt unwell
for a few months at around a year.  I had some tests run with my first
to check for anemia, thyroid problems, etc.  I eventually chalked it up
to motherhood and being under my normal weight.

I say this not because I think it holds true for everyone (another study
of 1!), but because I think it's within the range of normal.  I have
known others who have trouble losing a certain amount of extra weight
during lactation, but I do not know their nursing patterns or eating
patterns as well as my own.  I was nursing very frequently and nursing
several times at night.

Amy Kwilinski