From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 01:41:08 GMT
Hi Glenda

much more effective than a breast pump.  The area of suction is
much smaller and more specific.  So far, I have not come across an
inverted nipple that did not respond, sometimes it takes a lot of
persistence. I have never had to use silicone nipple shields for this,
unless we had the added problem of serious nipple confusion (baby
won't take anything that doesn't feel hard).

Another thing that sometimes happens with inverted nipples; baby
who has received bottles and merely opens his mouth at the breast.
No active tongue motions, or drawing the breast into his mouth.  I
have shown moms and dads the Self-Attachment video by Lennart
Righard and sent them home to "practice".  Frequently, even with
inverted nipples, babies re-learn the active motions of latch-on.

I have used Dr. Righard's video and description of self-attachment
many times since hearing him speak at the LLL Conference.  It has
been useful for nipple confusion, sleepy baby, inverted nipples, and
even a baby who seemed disorganized.  I am very excited by the
number of times moms report active latch-on within 24 hours.  In
fact, after describing this to moms by telephone as a technique to
hold them over until they came in,  I had 3 appointments cancel
because everything resolved almost overnight.

Please, I don't wish to imply that this is a cure-all, new, latest,
greatest technique, and I don't wish to imply that this should replace
an office assessment.  But, moms are reporting success and
speaking about breastfeeding with confidence.  In some ways, I
think mom may have just needed permission to go to bed and rest
with the baby.  It may be easier to take a nap if you've been
"ordered" to.

Jeanne Fisher
Austin, TX