From:
Diane Karnbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:22:03 -0500
Pat,

One of my hobbies is to look through all the liturature in hospital areas or
doctors' offices that are put out by the formula companies and then writting
letters to these establishments exlaining why they shouldn't be there.  It
is my experience (disclaimer) that all of the ones I have seen contain
misleading information that is put in there to jepordize the breastfeeding
relationship and increase the need for supplementation.

You are right to be concerned about using them.  Most of them contain a lot
more information about choosing a formula anyway.  I have seem many showing
poor positioning, one gives instuctions on the need to boil water, use
something sterile and clean the nipples before and after each feeding.
Another tells moms they may want to begin by nursing the baby laying down
which is very difficult for a lot of new moms.

Maybe you can get a few of the ones they have in mind and go over what is
incorrect (with references) and how they may actually cut breastfeeding
short. Then get some with good information on them.  I have one in mind if
you want to e-mail me.

Good luck.  How frustrating that we even have to convince people that are
supposed to be pro-breastfeeding!

Diane Karnbach, LLLL