From:
Mary Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:15:27 CDT
Re: question about speaking to dietetics students:

I highly recommend showing a video of breastfeeding  (Texas WIC
Program has one "Yes, You Can Breastfeed" which I sometime use to
show positioning -- I usually just use a small portion of the video.
"No Finer Investement" is also a good one.) or consider bringing in a
breastfeeding woman to demonstrate / answer questions.

Here are some references I would share:

*Cunningham, A., et al.  Breastfeeding and health in the 1980's: A
global epidemiologic review.  J Pediatr 1991 May; 118(5):659-65.
* Newman, J.  How Breast Milk Protects Newborns.  Scientific
American.  1995 Dec; 4: 76-79.
*Wagner, et al. Special Properties of Human Milk.  Clinical
Pediatrics, June 1996, 283-293.
* Walker, M.  A Fresh Look at the Risks of Artificial Infant Feeding.
J Human Lact 1993; 9(2): 97-107.

If there are local phone numbers where clients can be referred for
help with breastfeeding (either answers to questions over the phone)
or in-person consults I would share those, as well as key reference
books such as Hale, Medications and Mothers Milk  and  the La Leche
League Answer Book.  This will help students be better prepared to
find answers to questons from their clients.

The question "What do you know about breastfeeding?" (Best Start),
rather than asking feeding intention,   is something I also consider
crucial in teaching new WIC staff .  (Generates discussion and helps
identify how to proceed with breastfeeding education and  counseling
for pregnant women)

Mary Johnson, RD, MPH