From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 09:06:34 -0500
Janet
I am so sorry for your loss.  I know you have the entire LACTNET readership
hurting for you this week.

Someone called me this week asking about nursing related to loss of
pregnancy.  Her situation was fairly similar.  At 7 months postpartum, she
became pregnant, but experienced no breast changes.  She lost the pregnancy
at 5-6 wks.  Her doctor told her that the nursing *might* have been related.
 Now, at 13 months pp, she is attempting to wean so that she can become
pregnant again.  This mom seems to have a very close connection with her
hormones - the young one only nurses a couple of times a day, and mom is
without periods.  This gave me an opportunity to read from the BF Answer
Book, and Ruth Lawrence.  There is an excellent section in Lawrence on the
careful balance of hormones and pregnancy.

IMHO, I don't believe breastfeeding unbalances the hormones that maintain
pregnancy and growth of the fetus; rather that a poorly growing fetus will
not produce the hormones to maintain the pregnancy.  If your body was able to
achieve pregnancy while nursing, I believe you would have carried a healthy
baby to term while nursing.  I have no research to back this up, just my
heart-felt faith in Mother Nature.

Please be gentle with yourself.

Jeanne Fisher
Austin, TX