Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:02:14 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
This is old news and circulated last year or maybe earlier.  I believe it comes from an incident where a baby was given methergine by mistake.  Hale had a statement on it.  There is extensive documentation in Medications and Mother's Milk.  I believe Frank Nice also put out a good statement.  Biggest side effect was possible decrease in prolactin and decrease in milk supply while being used. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:41 PM
Subject: Methergine

I am a hospital Lactation Consultant and I just received an e-mail today about an FDA warning on methergine and breastfeeding. Don't know how late I am in finding this out or if it's still very new. I did check the FDA website and it does indeed say that this is a new warning issued and that the recommendation is to discontinue breastfeeding for 12 hours after last dose is given. Does anyone know if Dr. Hale has had anything to say about this?  In his latest book, it is listed as an L2. What are other hospitals doing?
Stephanie Sperling RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2