From:
Susan Majoris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:47:00 -0500
>Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 20:27:00 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Susan Majoris <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: frenulum clipping
>
>I think it's interesting that certain procedures are required to have
standard protocal and others have been left alone. I would be interested in
knowing what is done in countries where breastfeeding is "supported" as the
norm. - how is frenotomy handled? Also standard? Who does it?
>Parents are key here too. If - milk transfer is being compromised, If -
the integrity of mom's nipple tissue is being compromised, and If - there
is potential for problems later...Would you insist?  I would. Don't you
just cringe when you do an oral assessment and see that tongue tie?  It is
a physician issue.
>Why do some Ohio Obs. find it easy to clip? What is wrong with this
picture? Why will some physicians do it easily and others make a production
of it? What is the problem? Why do some just clip and others need
anesthesia? I am working with a baby who is tongue tied right now along
with some mandibular asym..(forceps birth) Mom and dad have Pedi visit on
Friday. First on their list is clipping. Pedi wants to wait until baby is
older since an oral surgeon may be involved if jaw does not settle out.
Baby would use his jaw - latch wider  and get stronger if he was not tongue
tied.