From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:52:39 -0500
Carol,

<<  Is this what MOD did?  Those of us who do conference
 planning know that funds come from a variety of sources.  Just "tweaking"
the
 budget so that those 5 talks were listed as being funded by someone else,
 doesn't really address the big issue, which is that M.J. is STILL the
primary
 sponsor of the conference, and STILL will be mightily present with all their
 propaganda in hand.  Sigh.

I'm sure the money is "laundered," but last year I spoke for the MOD (as did
Angela Jacobi), and we were listed in several prominent places (including on
the board outside the room where we spoke) that "this speaker is funded by
Medela."  (I think it said that on the conference brochure too) which didn't
warm me as much as "this speaker is NOT funded by M.J."  Oh, but the presence
of MJ is there -- loud, clear, and to the point.  What I don't understand,
truly, is why the conference planners insist that the conference could not be
done without MJ funding.  I don't get it.  ILCA has had 12 conferences, and
with the exception of 1989 (Toronto), has made money for the organization
with each conference (well, I don't know about 1996) WITHOUT funding from
formula industry.  BSC's big conference in March will have no formula funding
-- there has been no industry backing for any of their smaller conferences,
and they have done fine.  And I'm sure that many of you on Lactnet could say
the same things about conferences you have done or been involved with.

If the conference organizers WANT formula money, so be it.  But don't rely on
the excuse that the conference can't be done without it -- it can be, and we
have seen it happen.  It is the same issue, in essence, that hospitals face
when they think about truly being Baby Friendly and buying their formula.
 Can they do it?  Of course they can.  Believe it or not, there is plenty of
money in the budget to do so -- and it really doesn't cost nearly as much as
administration would have you believe.  But the thought of giving up those
thousands of dollars of formula money is practically paralyzing -- both to
hospitals, conferences, and physicians who benefit by the perks.  "Free"
looks so good.

But how we pay.  Oh yes, ultimately, we pay.

Jan Barger -- in rainy, warmish Wheaton where Christmas will be grey on the
outside, but plenty colorful in our hearts!