From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:06:20 -0500
I have to tell you that thinking about sad songs you sing in your bra made
me think of Elvis's first line, "Well since my baby left me....."
Now isn't that the first sign of an engorgement song, and it all started in
the hospital that was separating moms and babies that first hour or two.

We got the Nursery Priestess to buy in on how wonderful it was going to be
to do in-room admissions. We haven't had a real newbie in the nursery
(except C/s - working on that) in ages. This is one topic where ANY kind of
evidence based practice will hit you over the head -- want breastfeeding to
work? Get that baby on ASAP!

Along with the Priestess buying on, we moved into a new unit with a smaller
nursery, and we conspirators started bringing the scale right to the room
for the nurse. Also, during the admission assessment, moms are taught during
Lamaze class that when the nurse asks, "Any special requests?" you can say
"I want my baby admitted in the room."

It really has made an incredible difference!

Dawn Kersula RN, LCCE, FACCE, IBCLC
Brattleboro, VT