From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:26:17 -0600
I was recently reading a blog post by a nursing mom of many who was
offended when she visited a different midwife in the practice she used, and
found on the wall that photo of a Pakistani (?) mom nursing a healthy boy
and bottle feeding a girl at death's door. I totally understand where she's
coming from and would also be offended to see that image presented without
the context of a relationship.

BUT. . . the comments devolved very quickly into arguing, and just like the
disaster comments, the formula feeding moms absolutely insisted that there
is *nothing* wrong or deficient with formula.  NOTHING.  Infant feeding had
to carrying no more moral weight than choosing a carseat.

It's just breathtaking (and heartbreaking) how much emotional upheaval
these "discussions" cause in the moms involved, even though they insist it
is no big deal to formula feed.  If its really okay, then why do they want
to equate breastfeeding support/promotion with genocide?

One mom mentioned that it was none of her OB's business how she was going
to feed her baby, and someone asserted that once a mom was pregnant, she
would have decided, which we know is a misconception.

Its been fascinating to eavesdrop on the two conversations.  I don't know
that I've figured out anything in particular about conveying information
about breastfeeding, but it certainly confirms how terribly important it is
to treat all moms with respect and gentleness.

Lynn Carter SFO LLLL IBCLC
Missouri, USA