From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:16:33 EST
Maybe ICLA needs to officially identify the role of the CLE.  Maybe the role
of the CLC is to then go to become licensed as a IBCLC.   Just as a graduate
with a bachelor's degree in science and nursing goes onto take the licensure
to become an RN.

Or maybe,  the CLE course infomation is the basic information that should be
incorporated into the basic education of any healthcare professional who
cares for women and children.  When that has occurred then the  the science
of lactation will have truly moved into the mainstream.

As an NP I often spend time with my patients explaining my role.  I see the
role of the CLE as quite similar to my role as an NP.  Ideally shouldn't the
CLE be seen as an expert in " the Normals and the Common problems of
Lactation"?   Can the CLE manage a cleft palate down's syndrome baby?   Maybe
with much self study and many years of experience.    Maybe in conjunction
with a IBCLC or with many years of  practice with an IBCLC.  I certainly
would not be comfortable caring for this baby in a lactational or an NP
position.  Except maybe working in CLOSE conjunction with a physician and an
IBCLC.   But do you want me caring for  a normal healthy baby with common or
usual problems?  Absolutely!   Why ?  Well because,  I know what is normal
and I know when I am beyond my capabilities.  And yet I practice in a way the
supports breastfeeding.  I am a bridge between the medical and the lactation
world.

I find the field of lactation even more fascinating than the field of
healthcare/nursing  and slowly but surely I am moving onward in my education.

Education.   Yes that is also a part of the role of the "Certified lacatation
EDUCATOR"
In my  time as a CLE,  I have become the "breastfeeding zealot" at my work
because I talk about it frequently and I present information that others
aren't ready of willing to hear.   I don't like that characterization, it
discredits me.  But occasionaly,  I inspire someone and it makes it all worth
it.
 I look around at the practice that I work in and I see changes.   The
breastfeeding picture in room #1.  The growth charts touting enfamil as an
"exceptional" nutritional choice is gone.  The prenatal lactation program and
the well baby handouts I have developed or or others I have made available
are being used.  And, the most rewarding,  the MD's I work with  changing
their practice.  I gave a presentation (The Costs of Not Breastfeeding)  to
them last week and the consensus was,  "Wow breastfeeding really is
superior!"   More and more, they are inspiring their patient to breastfeed,
to continue to breastfeed, to breastfeed  exclusively for six months, to work
and breastfeed, etc...

Last week one of  the most cynical doctors I work with ( he didn't even
attend my presentation),  hospitalized a woman in status asthmaticus.  I few
weeks ago  he had told her BF was too stressful for her maybe she should
quit.  Well she didn't and she brought her pump to the hospital.  He went to
the nurses station and told them to help her ,  AND THEY DID.  The  nurses
whole attitude changed.  And somehow so did his attitude.   And even more
importantly,  now what my client was doing was somehow legitimized  and
recognized as wothwhile, important, and  BEST for her child.

And that is My Role as an NP and a CLE.     Christine Betzold  MSN NP CLE