Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:52:58 EDT
A physician has told a client she must wean her 6 month old baby within 3
days in order to take either Viox ( not found in my '99 Hale) or Celebrex
which was not reviewed.  I suggested the physician should show cause why this
would be harmful to this mother/baby dyad.  Needless to say, the mother is
devastated by this command.  She is being prescribed these meds for
Rhuematoid Arthritis treatment.  It makes me wonder - as does the mom, about
why we would want to increase this child's susceptibility to contracting RA
by eliminating breastfeeding.  Anyone care to offer an opinion I can pass
onto the mother so she can be treated (don't know what she's used previously)
and the breastfeeding relationship remain intact?  TIA.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
The Lactation Connection
private practice, So. Calif, USA