From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:52:55 +0800
>"I can't put any scientific or medical input into this, but I have
>noticedthat mothers/parents who have had to jump through hoops,  go
>through a lotof cash, and all the blood, sweat and tears and
>disappointments of it all, are rather *less* likely to breastfeed than
>you'd expect for their age, education and economic status."

Teresa Glenn added:
  I have noticed that very few
>infertility patients I talk to have success breastfeeding for any
>length of time.  (Although, perhaps, those with hormonal causes for
>infertility might have hormonal causes for lactation problems.)

I find this interesting and quite logical from your reasoning with this,
but in my experience, I have found these mothers to sometimes be even
*more* determined to breastfeed. Maybe I don't see many of the ones who
give up easily, as I work in private practice and see them well past
hospital discharge. The ones I have seen are almost paranoid about being
successful at breastfeeding - their reasons are often expressed as needing
to do this as this baby is *so* precious and they may never have another,
so want the very best, or to prove that their bodies can do *something*
right in this reproductive thing. If it doesn't work out, they can be
devastated.

The one exception to this that I can recall was a mum who's IVF baby got
colic when fed EBM (which she had loads of) but seemed OK when fed formula.
This mum was convinced her breastmilk was no good and was happy to wean
immediately.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]