From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:31:15 -0500

<<
 Having a small debate at my local WIC office on how it is best to phrase
 the question:
 "Are you planning to breastfeed?"(leaves room for dialogue)
 "How can I help you with breastfeeding?"(this assumes breastfeeding but
 seems awkward to say when questioning)
 "How do you plan to feed your baby?"(not real good because it assumes
 both are equal choices)
 Looking for the PERFECT way to phrase it :D
 Anyone willing to offer a suggestion?
 -- >>

Dear Ilene,
I think a better thing to say is : "We like all mothers to learn about
breastfeeding while they are pregnant.  You will be hearing about it in your
nutrition class, etc.  Do you have any questions about breastfeeding on this
visit?"  If mom says she plans to bottle feed you can say: " That's fine.  It
is your decision of course, but we are having more and more mothers choose
breastfeeding sometimes after they learn more about it and see other mothers
doing it.  You shouldn't make your decision yet." This lets them know they
not only don't have to decide early in pregnancy, maybe they shouldn't.
Are you trying to ask the breast vs. bottle question because you have to fill
it in on an answer on a form?  Then CHANGE THE FORM?  It is really
inappropriate to ask this question of a pregnant mom early in pregnancy.  If
you can't get the form changed start writing in "uncertain" beside the
choices.  Give the mom a break and a chance to learn a little before making
such a decision.

Of course you could just be blunt by Dr. Eloise Skelton-Forrest in CA who
told us at the LLLI conference in Chicago or Anaheim (I can't remember which
) that she says "Tell me how you plan to breastfeed your baby." at the first
prenatal visit, and if the mom (teen) says"oh, no doctor. I'm going to bottle
feed"  she replies, "Oh you are going to pump your breasts and feed your
wonderful milk to your baby in a bottle?"  and when the young mother
replies"Oh no, Dr. Skelton-Forrest, I'm going to feed my baby formula."  She
replies "Oh you are going to feed your baby GLUE!!!"  At the next visit she
starts all over as if she never heard the mom the first time  . . . "Now tell
me how your are going to breastfeed your baby."  and believe it or not these
girls develop such a strong relationship with this wonderful black woman lots
of them DO breastfeed!  She mothers, insists, coaxes, and bulleys, them into
it, but she also has the power and the personality to pull this off.  The
young black teens she cares for look up to and love her because they know how
much she cares for them, and often they will do what she says.  Got any
doctors like that where you are?
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC