Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:57:46 +0000
Janet writes apropos colostrum "But my point to mums is that it is designed
to come in small
amounts.  That a good feeding is only 1- 3 tsp "

Of course...so why *on earth* is a top up or supplementary bottle of
formula given to a newborn with bf difficulties so  h...u...g...e?  Here,
in hospitals where formula is still given far too often to bf babies, a 30
ml bottle is the minimum ever given.

We hear of nipple confusion...I think what happens here is volume
confusion...but the most confused are the hps who think this massive volume
is appropriate to force down a tiny baby...

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK