From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:08:11 +0200
Jan asks that we hold off on doing anything about the implied ILCA
endorsement of part of a formula marketing tactic by Mead Johnson.
I don't think it will hurt to send a short, polite enquiry to both of them.
It would be good to expose MJ's lack of updatedness about BF, in that they
are using a 'sell' tactic that is no longer valid, since ILCA policy today
is so clear on the point of endorsements.

The language MJ use is very, very carefully chosen.  It doesn't say anywhere
that ILCA endorses their product.  It says they are giving mothers a 'gift'
of the guide that ILCA found to be the best one available at the time.  It
comes across as though ILCA and Mead Johnson are good buddies, allied for
the benefit of mothers and babies, even though it doesn't say so anywhere.
This is a prime example of what Marsha is writing about, how they weasel
into looking as though they are in our good graces - they put food out and
we come in, they pull the string and drop the box over our heads, and gloat
all the way to the bank.

Just lost my appetite for free dinner.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway