From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:45:52 -0400
Cindy wrote:

>Just a few days ago someone posted about Dr Aronfy's web site that had a
lot
>of misinformation on breastfeeding, well I e mailed the good doctor with
>some updated information and today his office manager emailed me with a
>request to look at the new site........  Take a look at the url below and
>see the new information.  Wish it was this easy for us to get all sites
with
>misinformation in them to change them! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
>http://www.erols.com/agaronfy/breast.htm

I was the one who posted about his site ... Great job, Cindy! You've made a
difference!

Now that you're his buddy, maybe you could ask him to change just a few more
things ... :-)

First of all, the page is not really about common problems, so he may want
to change the title and the second paragraph to reflect the page's focus on
general BF information.

Second, he may want to focus on a few simple points -- perhaps some of the
"Recommended BF Practices" in the AAP's 12/97 Breastfeeding and the Use of
Human Milk?

<<A couple of things are important for a rich and abundant milk supply:
emotional stability ...>>

Not necessarily!  This is misleading. Women breastfeed successfully under
all sorts of circumstances that are less than ideal. Look at the woman on
the cover of _Time_!

<<...and adequate liquid intake. >>

Nope. Besides, in the next sentence, he contradicts himself by going on to
state that only drinking to thirst is necessary (which is true, of course --
I'm guessing they combined your response with his rhetoric, which obviously
isn't working).

<<Human milk is a complete food for infants during the first six
months --with the exception of fluoride for healthy teeth.>>

Nope. Quoting from the new AAP statement: "Fluoride should not be
administered to infants during the first 6 months after birth, whether they
are breast- or formula-fed. During the period from 6 months to 3 years of
age, breastfed infants (and formula-fed infants) require fluoride
supplementation only if the water supply is severely deficient in fluoride
(<0.3 ppm)."

<<How does a mother know if her baby is getting adequate nourishment -- if
her milk is rich enough? >>

Eeeeeeek. Perhaps he could take out the "if her milk is rich enough" part.
I'll let you explain this to him.  :-)

<<Some medications may not be given to nursing mothers: birth-control pills,
radioactive drugs, illicit drugs, alcohol, sleeping pills, laxatives, ergot
(for migraine), antifungal drugs, most psycho-active drugs, anti-cancer
drugs, some heart medications, sulfa drugs, tetracycline-related drugs.
Thyroid medications are now acceptable for breastfeeding mothers as are
narcotics (used infrequently) as well as antifungals, tetracyclines and
sulfa meds are ok too.>>

This needs some ironing out -- they seem to be combining what he said before
with what you said in your critique, or something like that. And the first
sentence is still too broad. "May not be given" is too strong -- for some of
these drugs, the decision is really the mother's (risk-benefit analysis).
Perhaps he should just say something like the phrasing in the AAP statement:
"Although most prescribed and over-the-counter medications are safe for the
breastfed infant, there are a few medications that mothers may need to take
that may make it necessary to interrupt breastfeeding temporarily. These
include radioactive isotopes, antimetabolites, cancer chemotherapy agents,
and a small number of other medications."

<<Please take a look at Tom Hales', PhD, web site - he has published a
wonderful book called Medications and Mothers Milk. It is very helpful and
costs only about 25.00. Here is the url for his site:
http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/ >>

It sounds like this was intended from you to him and instead ended up on the
Web page ... correct? I don't think he intends for every mom reading his
site to go out and buy the book. I'm also not sure that Dr. Hale's web
site -- as valuable as it is to *us* -- is an appropriate place to send new
parents. JMO, of course.

Janice, nitpicky copy editor
Westerville, OH