From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 17:17:36 -0400
Hi Netters,

You probably never quessed who this post was from.  I finally can finish my
Kenya trip.  I just got back my 16 rolls of film which helped motivate me to
get on lactnet.  (Evi- picture of Grace came back beautifully.  Will bring it
to ILCA for you)
So I flew into Nairobi and stayed one night.  Following day I visited Nairobi
hospital where the matron had fixed up a room for the maternity nurses to
come (and flowers).  We all shared experiences of breastfeeding, labor &
delivery, etc.  They are having the same problems with the mothers leaving
early from the hospital and not getting enough education.  I might have said
in my last post that they try to stay away from fish when BF.  I told them
what myths  US had, especially with foods and had asked what things they were
told not to eat. Of course they had questions about collection and storage of
milk.  It was so refreshing to see women manually expressing their milk.  One
women did say she had a pump from the past baby, but I did not ask too many
questions.  As I was walking out of her room, she said "can I call you if I
have any questions?"  I very nicely said I was just visiting and sorta live
far away.  From then on I introduced myself as a nurse and LC from the US.  I
will send a care package to the matron that was interested in a bunch of new
info and studies along with---- yes, Kathy Auerbach-- Your book
"Breastfeeding and Human Lactation".
Then we spent most of the rest of the trip on safaris.  I did get a picture
of a baby elephant attached to mom with her trunk, nursing.  I plan to get a
slide made.  It is so cute. I was able to see a few of the other animals
nursing, but couldn't get good pictures.  I was in heaven.  I talked to the
various people about the animals and their habits, etc.  The stories are
wonderful.  Maybe I can share some of them with you all that are going to
ILCA.  A baby giraffe drops 6 feet to his/her birth.  That is their welcome
into the world.  A lion will copulate 200 times in 3 days.  I have all these
pictures of the lions all laying around sleeping.  What a life.  Baby
elephants begin growing tusks at 2 years and that is when mom ends the
breastfeeding.
Then we flew to Masai Mara National Reserve.  I talked with several Maasai
warriors (which is what they are noted for) to find out the history and
customs of their tribe.  Fasinating tribe.  I did get several slides there,
including moms carrying their babies in slings.  The only BF I saw outside
the hospital was at the airports.  It was wonderful, seeing people just
sitting on the floors BF young and old babies.  The one thing that stuck (and
still sticks) in my mind is the tradition of circumcision.  Men, you can skip
over this part if you want.  As soon as boys turn into men at 17 yrs, they
are circumcised.  Yes, they line up, and after having their heads shaved and
go through the river, they are circumcised.  They are couragous (it is a real
test) if they do not curl their toes, move their eyes, yell, etc.  If they
do, they are not real men which is real significant later.  And quess what
ladies, women still do get circumcised there prior to marriage.
The last day was spent with Grace, a wonderful women from Nairobi, Evi's
friend.  We had more fun walking, shopping, sharing stories, and finished off
with dinner and the best cashew icecream sundae with mango sause.  A trip I
will never forget.  A true dream come true.  Looking forward to seeing you
all in KS next week at ILCA.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela
Naperville, IL